10 February 2012

Christine Sajecki: Weekend Inspiration

The Works
48"x24" encaustic and oil on board
2005 








Backyards of Baltimore
34"x30" encaustic and photocopy transfer on birch
2009 



 


I first saw Christine's work during an open studio tour in 2006 (I think?) I remember seeing "The Works" and thinking that is the surface I've been trying to create since college!  I wanted to touch it, and ask a thousand questions!  I didn't.  (I wasn't as pushy as I am now.) I can't believe I waited until 2009 to take a class on encaustic at The Creative Alliance in Baltimore, and Christine was teaching. (She was a resident artist there art the time.)

Her work is even more beautiful and complex in person.  Her mastery of the medium is stellar.  There is such a great balance of color, depth and imagery. You've gotta check out her website to see the full breath of Christine's work.  I love her sculptural work as well, since encaustic is such a tactile medium, she gives the viewer an opportunity to carry some pieces around. I can't wait to see what is coming up for her.  Thank you Christine for sharing!! (And for creating another encaustic painter.)


No comments:

Post a Comment